Thursday, April 9, 2009

Exercising with FM










Regular exercise is important for all people, but is especially vital for those with firbromyalgia. Fibromyalgia exercise helps to control weight, reduce pain and increase mobility in fibromyalgia patients.
Exercise becomes a key component in healing FM Syndrome patients because a properly designed routine will improve the body tissues, decrease pain, and increase mobility.
A regular fibromyalgia exercise program should include:
  1. Stretching, Breathing, Relaxing
  2. Strength or Resistance Training
  3. Cardiovascular Aerobic Activities
One effective form of exercise that includes the first two elements above is yoga. I admit, prior to enrolling in a yoga class, I thought yoga was a bogus, hippie rendition of Buddhist-like meditation. However, after giving it a whirl, I have learned to really appreciate it and see the benefits it has brought to my body and mind. I finish my yoga routine extremely relaxed and refreshed. Although I do not have fibromyalgia, I have seen a huge difference in my body's release of pain. Yoga has helped to release the built up muscle tension in my upper back and neck. I have seen a decrease in the amount of headaches and episodes of upset stomach since I began yoga. Wow, this sounds like a testimonial or advertisement for yoga. I am definitely not the biggest advocate for yoga, but I do think it has been beneficial. I think this is because yoga has helped to manage my stress, which is vital to managing fibromyalgia (or any other illness for that matter).

Exercising, particularly for those with fibromyalgia, comes down to figuring out what works for you and your individual needs and preferences. I think it is very important to engage in a form of exercise that you really enjoy-whether its yoga, swimming, tennis or maybe even Dancing with the Stars Cardio Dance Workout DVD, explore your preferences and easy your way into it.

Visit Fibromyalgiaexercise for specifics to be aware of when planning and engaging in exercise activities suited for those with fibromyalgia.


2 comments:

  1. I think exercise is such an effective way to deal with so many stresses and problems with our bodies and minds. This does not surprise me that exercise can help a great deal with the effects of fibromyalgia. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make a great point here! I work at a doctors office that treats patients with fibromyalgia and many dont exercise because it hurts too much. Little do they know that a little bit of exercise goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete